Super Chewy Sugar Cookies

I remember when I was in college, they used to sell some of the best sugar cookies in the on campus cafe.  The other day I found an awesome recipe for sugar cookies, "The Best Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe" from AddaPinch.com and I have to say, it is one of the best sugar cookies I've ever made.



Ingredients

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1½ cups granulated sugar*
  • 1 egg
  • 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher salt ( I just used regular as it was what I had on hand)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350º F. 
  2. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.** Add egg and mix until well-combined.
  3. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
  4. Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
  5. Add granulated sugar to a large bowl for rolling cookie dough in before baking. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1½-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.***


Things we did

1. *Sugar - Now, I have a sweet tooth and I loved them, but some of my kids said they were too sweet (can you believe it?)  so you may want to decrease the amount of sugar.

2. **Creaming the butter and sugar. I usually always cream the butter and sugar in a recipe with just a wooden spoon but this time I decided to use the mixer for the three minutes and the dough came out so light and fluffy!  It was probably the softest cookie dough I've ever worked with.

3.  ***The directions call for cooking them 8-10. After 8 minutes they didn't look so done to me, so I left them in for 10 and I still wasn't satisfied so I ended up leaving them in for 15 minutes. I think this produced a crispier cookie than if I had left them in for the time specified, but they still had a great deal of chewiness to them, so I was satisfied.  I definitely want to try these again, in shaa Allah and I may reduce the time in the oven some from what I did this time as I know they still continue to cook on the cookie sheet for a bit.