Streusel Topping

Streusel Topping

If you've never made streusel topping for your quick breads such as muffins and banana bread, you definitely HAVE TO give it a try. It really spruces them up by not only making them look prettier but also making them even more tasty!

I have been putting streusel on my banana breads for years and yesterday I branched out and tried it on some cinnamon quick bread that I made. I've tried many recipes over the years, but I found one the other day and it's the best one I've made yet!

After mixing up the streusel, you top the bread/muffins with it THEN you bake it.

Streusel Topping

What you need:

  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
  • ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) butter, room temperature

What you do:


  • Mix together brown sugar, flour, oats and butter until about pea-sized crumbles form.



  •  Top the muffin batter with the streusel topping, then bake.



  • My 11 year old made banana bread all by himself this week (under my supervision and it sure was fun) and we used the streusel topping. This is the consistency after we mixed it up:


    And this was our banana bread after baking: